|Synonyms||Bl/AJ, BlAJ, Bla/J, BLA|
|Strain||Congenic, Spontaneous mutation|
|JAX stock number||012767|
- BLAJ mice contain the progressive muscular dystrophy (prmd) allele from the A/J inbred strain that was introgressed to the c57BL/6 genetic background.
- Disease onset is observed by 2 months and is characterized by the presence of centronucleated fibers and areas of inflammation.
- As seen with the original background A/J, mice homozygous for the prmd allele on the C57BL/6J background display an increasing number of centronucleated fibers and impairment in the majority of muscles by 4 months of age.
- In order of severity, the most affected muscles are psoas, quadriceps femoris, tibialis anterior, and gastrocnemius.
- Mice exhibit a decreased membrane repair capacity following laser wounding experiments. In an open space assay, mice cover less distance and are less active than wild-type.
- The progressive muscular dystrophy (prmd) allele was first identified as a strain characteristic of the A/J inbred strain at The Jackson Laboratory in 2004.
- The BLAJ strain was transferred to Dr. Douglas E. Albrecht of the Jain Foundation where the backcross generation reached N8. In collaboration with the Jain Foundation, Dr. Richard donated the BLAJ strain to The Jackson Laboratory Repository in 2010.
- BLAJ is transferred from Animal Research Centre, WA to Ozgene ARC in 2023.
- Mice that are homozygous for this allele are viable, fertile and normal in size. This mutant mouse strain may be useful as a model of limb-girdle muscular dystrophy type 2B (LGMD2B) and Miyoshi myopathy.
- These mice are sold subject to The Jackson Laboratory’s Conditions of Use and also the Australian Patent Number (2004268530). Information regarding conditions of use is available at: JAX General Terms and Conditions
- JAX mice are the gold standard for animal model research.
- Ozgene ARC terms and Conditions
- Mouse images are representative only. Actual phenotypes may vary based on genotype, sex, age, husbandry, health status, and other factors.