|Nomenclature||NOD.Cg-Rag1 tm1MomI l2rg tm1Wjl /SzJ/Ozarc|
|Strain||Congenic, Targeted (Null/Knockout)|
|Synonyms||NOD-Rag1null IL2rgnull, NOD rag gamma, NOD-RG|
|Coat colour||Albino (A/A Tyrc/Tyrc)
|JAX stock number||007799|
- MHC Haplotype: H2Kg7
- NRG mice are NOD-congenic mice harbouring the Rag1null mutation (Rag1KO or Rag1tm1Mom) on chromosome 2 and the IL2rγnull mutation (IL2RγcKO or Il2rgtm1Wjl) on the X chromosome.
- They may also be referred to as NOD-Rag1null IL2rγnull double mutant mice or NOD.Rag1KO.IL2RγcKO mice. Females that are homozygous for both mutations, as well as males homozygous for Rag1null and hemizygous for the X-linked IL2rγnull mutation, are both viable and fertile.
- This stock strain can tolerate much higher levels of irradiation conditioning than NOD-scid IL2rgnull (NSG) mice.
- NRG mice support higher levels of both human cord blood stem cell engraftment following irradiation-conditioning (leading to multi-lineage hematopoietic cell populations and a complete repertoire of human immune cells, including human T cells) and human peripheral blood mononuclear cells engraftment in unconditioned adult mice with respect to NOD-Rag1null (Jax No. 003729) or NOD-scid (Jax No.001303) mice.
- To accommodate their level of immunodeficiency, NRG mice are maintained at Ozgene ARC in a maximum barrier environment, housed within individually ventilated cages (IVC).
- NRG mutant mice (also called NOD-Rag1null IL2rγnull double mutant mice or NOD.Rag1KO.IL2RγcKO mice) were produced by breeding NOD-Rag1null (Stock No. 003729) mice with NOD-scid IL2rgnull (Stock No. 005557) mice. Offspring were intercrossed and bred to be homozygous for the Rag1null mutation, homozygous (for females; or hemizygous for males) for the X-linked IL2rγnull mutation, and wild-type for the scid mutation.
- NRG mice may be useful for cell or tissue transplantation studies, particularly as a model for human lymphohematopoietic cell engraftment studies that require a radioresistant host.
- Mouse images are representative only. Actual phenotypes may vary based on genotype, sex, age, husbandry, health status, and other factors.
- Brehm MA, Cuthbert A, Yang C, Miller DM, DiIorio P, Laning J, Burzenski L, Gott B, Foreman O, Kavirayani A, Herlihy M, Rossini AA, Shultz LD, Greiner DL. Parameters for establishing humanized mouse models to study human immunity: analysis of human hematopoietic stem cell engraftment in three immunodeficient strains of mice bearing the IL2rgamma(null) mutation. Clin Immunol. 2010 Apr;135(1):84-98. doi: 10.1016/j.clim.2009.12.008. Epub 2010 Jan 21. PMID: 20096637; PMCID: PMC2835837.
- Pearson T, Shultz LD, Miller D, King M, Laning J, Fodor W, Cuthbert A, Burzenski L, Gott B, Lyons B, Foreman O, Rossini AA, Greiner DL. Non-obese diabetic-recombination activating gene-1 (NOD-Rag1 null) interleukin (IL)-2 receptor common gamma chain (IL2r gamma null) null mice: a radioresistant model for human lymphohaematopoietic engraftment. Clin Exp Immunol. 2008 Nov;154(2):270-84. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2249.2008.03753.x. Epub 2008 Sep 8. PMID: 18785974; PMCID: PMC2612717.